Sorry, your browser is not compatible with this website.

This website uses technology supported by Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Chrome, Safari, and Safari mobile. Open with the latest versions of our supported browsers below.

What browser do I have?

We Provide Earthquake Insurance for Californians

CEA Renters Policy Coverages & Deductibles

CEA Renters Policy Coverages & DeductiblesWhether you rent an apartment, house, mobilehome or condominium, the risk is real.

To your financial security. To your peace of mind. A California Earthquake Authority (CEA) covers you so that you can recover after an earthquake strikes.

CEA can cover your belongings for earthquake damage, with coverage and deductible options to fit most budgets:

  • Personal property (your belongings like TVs and furniture).
  • Loss of Use/Additional Living Expenses if you need to live elsewhere following an earthquake.
  • Emergency repairs, like removing broken glass from your furniture after an earthquake.
  • Breakage, as an optional coverage, to cover breakable belongings like dishes and ceramics.

Renters Policy Coverages & Deductibles

Choose the best renters policy for your needs and budget.

Renters Policy
Personal Property

Personal Property coverage covers damage to your belongings, like TVs and furniture.

Coverage Limit
Up to $200,000
You can cover your personal property for $5,000, $25,000, $50,000, $75,000, $100,000, $150,000 or $200,000.
5% - 25%

You can choose 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 percent deductibles.

Example: If you have $25,000 in coverage with a 5 percent ($1,250) deductible, and an earthquake strikes causing $20,000 in damage to your personal property, you will receive a payment for $18,750 (the difference between your claim and the deductible). You do not have to pay any portion of the deductible out-of-pocket to receive a claim payment. The deductible is simply subtracted from your total claim payment.

Loss of Use
(additional living expenses if you have to live elsewhere after an earthquake)

If you need to live and eat elsewhere after an earthquake (either because of earthquake damage or a civil authority prevents access), Loss of Use can cover your expenses that are greater than what you normally would spend on housing and other living expenses.

Coverage Limit
Up to $100,000
Loss of Use is available in $1,500, $10,000, $15,000, $25,000, $50,000, $75,000 or $100,000 limits.
There is never a deductible for Loss of Use.
Emergency Repairs
Emergency Repairs pays for reasonable and necessary costs to protect your property from further damage, like removing glass from your furniture, after an earthquake.
Coverage Limit
$1,000 or 5% of Personal Property coverage
If your rental is damaged by an earthquake, Emergency Repairs is included as the lesser of $1,000 or 5 percent of your Personal Property coverage limit, to protect your belongings from further damage.
Emergency Repairs are paid after your Personal Property deductible is met

Emergency Repairs begin after your Personal Property (belongings) deductible has been met.

Example: If you need help with repairs such as removing glass from your furniture, and your Personal Property deductible has been met, Emergency Repairs coverage pays the lesser of $1,000 or 5 percent of your Personal Property limit to make your rental inhabitable.

Breakables is an optional coverage that covers breakable belongings like dishes and ceramics. This coverage applies to your Personal Property coverage and is subject to your deductible. Sublimits for certain specifically covered items apply.

Read your CEA policy carefully

We encourage you to read your entire CEA policy to understand what is covered and what is not. Exclusions and special limits apply.

All details, limits, and conditions of CEA coverages are found in CEA insurance policies. Refer to a Sample Policy, below, for the full terms and definitions.