Sorry, your browser is not compatible with this website.

This website uses technology supported by Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Chrome, Safari, and Safari mobile. Open with the latest versions of our supported browsers below.

What browser do I have?

We Provide Earthquake Insurance for Californians

For Agents: Renters Coverages & Deductibles

Whether your customers rent an apartment, house, mobilehome or condo unit, California Earthquake Authority (CEA) can insure their valuables for a damaging earthquake with coverage options to fit most budgets:

  • Personal property
  • Loss of Use/Additional Living Expenses
  • Emergency repairs
  • Breakables

CEA Renters Coverages & Deductibles

Renters Policy
Personal Property

Personal Property covers your customer's belongings like TVs and furniture.

Coverage Limit
Up to $200,000
Your customer can cover their personal property for $5,000, $25,000, $50,000, $75,000, $100,000, $150,000 or $200,000.
5% - 25%

Your customer can choose 5, 10, 15, 20 or 25 percent deductibles.

Example:If your customer has $25,000 in coverage with a 10 percent ($2,500) deductible, and an earthquake strikes causing $10,000 in damage to their personal property, your customer will receive a payment for $7,500 (the difference between the claim and the deductible). They do not have to pay the deductible out-of-pocket to receive payment on the claim.

Loss of Use
(additional living expenses if your customer has to live elsewhere while their home is being repaired)

If your customer's home is damaged after an earthquake, and they need to live somewhere else while their home is being repaired, Loss of Use will cover their expenses over what they would normally spend if they weren’t displaced.

Coverage Limit
Up to $100,000
Loss of Use is available in $1,500, $10,000, $15,000, $25,000, $50,000, $75,000 and $100,000 limits.
There is never a deductible for Loss of Use.
Emergency Repairs
Emergency Repairs covers immediate needs to make your customer's home habitable, like fixing broken windows or glass removal.
Coverage Limit
$1,000 or 5% of Personal Property coverage
If your customer's rental is damaged by an earthquake, Emergency Repairs will cover up to $1,000 to make their home safe.
Emergency Repairs are paid after your Personal Property deductible is met

There is no deductible for Emergency Repairs. Emergency Repairs begin after the Personal Property deductible has been met.

Example: If your customer has $25,000 in Personal Property coverage with a 10 percent ($2,500) deductible, and an earthquake hits causing $30,000 in damage, Emergency Repairs will kick in up to $1,000 on top of the $2,500 claim payment (the difference between the claimed damage and the deductible.)

Breakables is an optional coverage that covers breakable belongings like dishes, artwork and collectibles.