The California Earthquake Authority is a publicly managed, largely privately funded organization that provides catastrophic residential earthquake insurance and encourages Californians to reduce their risk of earthquake loss.
In carrying out this mission, the CEA:
- Uses the best science available to provide actuarially sound insurance coverage, while striving to make policies accessible and competitively priced.
- Offers a range of earthquake insurance coverage options available through participating insurance companies.
- Maintains the appropriate financial strength to meet its claims-paying obligations.
- Ensures claims are handled promptly, fairly and consistently.
- Educates residents to make informed decisions regarding earthquake preparedness and the purchase of earthquake insurance.
- Minimizes potential earthquake damage by encouraging Californians to retrofit their homes and utilize other proven methods to mitigate loss.